How to Make a Pillowcase Video Tutorial
Hi everyone! Today we are going to learn how to make a simple pillowcase! It is a great project for beginners!
I have a full video tutorial in two parts explaining the whole process step by step. I am also putting it in print form below for those of you who may prefer the written version!
Video Part 1
Video Part 2
- 1/3 yard of fabric for border
- 3/4 yard of fabric for main pillowcase fabric
- Spool of thread to match
1. From the fabric you chose for your border, cut one piece that measures 10 ½ inches by 40 ½ inches.
2. From the fabric you chose for your main pillowcase, cut one piece that measures 26 ½ inches by 40 ½ inches.
3. Take your border piece and fold it together, wrong sides together. Press with an iron.
4. Place your main piece of pillowcase fabric right side up. Matching up raw edges, place the border fabric along the long edge of your main fabric and pin.
5. Sew along the whole edge you just pinned, using a ½ inch seam allowance. Make sure to reinforce at the beginning and end of your seam.
6. Finish the edge: use either pinking shears or a zigzag stich along the edges to finish the edge and prevent it from fraying.
7. Lay the border fabric flat with the seam pointing toward the main fabric piece, press the seam with an iron.
8. Optional: Topstitch along the main fabric edge.
9. Fold the pillowcase in half with right sides together. Pin along the two sides of the main fabric. (You do not need to pin along your border fabric – that end will be left open for putting a pillow inside!)
10. Sew along the two edges you pinned, using a ½ inch seam allowance. Reinforce at the beginning and end of your seams.
11. Finish your seams with pinking shears or a zigzag stitch.
12. Clip your corners.
13. Turn pillowcase right side out, making sure to poke out the corners from the inside. Press with an iron. And you’re done!